Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A gift for Demetri

My little boy loves to go to Church.  He used to be quite a challenge...but over the last year or so has really settled down and is a pleasure to take to services.  He LOVES to participate.  At home he initiates prayer throughout the day (meals, morning, etc), loves to chant the hymns he knows, venerates his icons, etc.  When we are in Church, he is no different.  He chants along with the chanters, sometimes even visiting them up at their chanting stands.  He says his prayers, the ones he knows...and mumbles along the ones he doesn't know.  He makes the sign of the Cross (well, almost) and does his metanoia (prostrations)...and he censes.  He ALWAYS censes.  He is always aware of where Father is, what he is doing, where he is moving.  If he can't see him, he asks to move around so he can catch a glimpse of him or we pick him up.  

He would use some of his favorite items as his "censor".  Seen here, he is using his favorite bear.  He uses our prayer ropes, necklaces, keychains, etc.  

But last week, he got the best little gift ever...


smiling and staring at his "censor" saying "just like Father's" !

during Vespers for the Entrance of the Theotokos


leavng the Chapel after Vespers




3 comments:

  1. Is that a lampada without a glass in it? What a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that when I was MAKING one for my son for his third birthday. ARGH!

    Love the pictures. He's so sweet and earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! Teddy has one with jingle bells that a little girl gave him from a church school project (balloon ribbon and a gold plastic cup, with a scented candle, unlit, inside for the incense). I love his little "deacon's card" in the second-to-last picture.

    One of the things I liked best about visiting the Three Hierarchs Orthodox Christian School in Pittsburgh was that not only are they Montessori-based, but their manipulatives included things like these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really sweet. I have to admit, though, that I'm a little jealous. I wish my five year old behaved like that. But what a blessing for you!

    ReplyDelete