Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Seedlings and Sprouts !

As I began to make some gardening plans for the summer (which I now realize should have been done in the SPRING)...I thought it might be fun for Sophia to have a little gardening project of her own.  I have been trying to remember to take pictures of her progress, which has been going well.  She has really had SO much fun with this, I would recommend it for kids her age.  I wasn't sure if she would be old enough to grasp the concept, but it's been great !

We started with some pole beans, which sprout quite quickly for some quick gratification for an inpatient toddler!  We also planted some zinnia flower seeds and carrots too.  We used Jiffy seed starter and egg cartons.  I actually purchased the whole Jiffy greenhouse kit...but thought the egg crate would suffice for our first try at gardening !


The biggest problem was getting her to understand "water them gently" !!!  we had a few mudslides and do-overs, but other than that it went pretty smooth !  

She checked their progress every morning and watered them with me everyday, during her prayers she makes sure every single day that we ask the Lord to "bless our plants and flowers"... .... and then....we finally saw a SPROUT from the green beans !  Can you see it???  



Before you knew it, they started to look like THIS ! 



We haven't prepared our final area for the garden, so in the interim, we have had to plant the beans in some pots.... and here they are in all their glory ! 



2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I have one tomato plant growing. It already has two small tomatoes and two more blooms coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine!

    What a neat project to share with your daughter! She looks so pleased with the results. : ) I'm still amazed as an adult by sprouting plants and blooming flowers. Enjoy these special memories with Sophia!

    ReplyDelete