Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Start climbing....



As I have mentioned...I am trying my hand at gardening this year.  Starting small, but starting nonetheless.  Learning to grow my own food is quite challenging.  The idea of being able to feed my family homegrown veggies, without pesticides, is very motivating.   Watching Sophia's face as she runs out to the garden each day...checking her bean plants...is priceless.  There are lessons in all of this for each one of us in our home. Even the little man is learning (he is learning that Mama doesn't appreciate when he pulls at the plants or "adds" things to the garden box).   Sophia still prays for God to "bless my beans and flowers so that they can grow and feed my family".  She is learning to rely on Him and finding out that we should not try to blindly go about life on our own.  She has succeeded in figuring out how to water things without DROWNING them (we had to buy a new watering bucket with a slower spout to aid in this lesson) and is already talking about planting more seeds for "more flowers".  She knows which plants are the tomatoes, which are the beans, and so on.  It's been a fun lesson in life - and even if I never grow an edible vegetable, this will all have been worth it !  

BUT with all that being said - we are planning on success !  Tonight we built our trellis. We are hoping to see things climbing upwards in no time !   We used the directions/idea from the Square Foot Gardening plan and it went pretty smooth !  The size of the trellis actually covered 2 more square feet than I had anticipated, so there might be some rearranging going on so that I can add another vertically climbing plant.  





Hopefully, the next time I post pictures of this little area there will be lots of green climbing up the netting !  

No comments:

Post a Comment