Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mama On The Run !



As you may (or may not) know, I regularly run/jog as one of my forms of exercise to try to stay healthy and stay in shape.  I am usually jogging behind my Bob Revolution Duallie...a GREAT double jogging stroller.  If you have to run with a stroller, the BOB is the way to go !  My kids love it, it's comfortable for them and easy to push for me !


My running partners


I started to think, "It might be fun to run in a race again".  I used to love to run in them with my dad when I was growing up....and it's been over 20 years since I ran my last race !  I started to ask around for some local races.  A friend I had met at the Y told me about an upcoming 5k....so I registered !!  

I was so excited the morning of the race, just wanting to cross the finish line.  My dad came with me to the race, which made the day all the more special and nostalgic !  As I came out into the homestretch, there he was....and I saw him looking at his watch ! I had finished slightly faster than I had anticipated and he wasn't expecting me so soon !  (or so he told me after the race).  



The final stretch !

We had a great day !  I'll add one final picture .....here we are after the race !


See the medals?  We took 1st and 2nd place (in our division) !!

Exercising and trying to stay healthy is sometimes a lot of work.  Running can get very boring and repetitive so it is nice to set goals and have something like a race to look forward to in the near future.  Most of the races out there benefit some sort of charity or organization and they are a great way of bringing the community together.  They are also just FUN to do !  I am already registered to run in another 5k in 2 weeks !  

I have decided to set a somewhat long-term goal for myself (and my running).  God willing, I would like to run in a half-marathon.  THIS Women's Half Marathon is scheduled for November 21st, so I have some time to prepare.  Now....if I can only get my sister to run it with me !  That would make for some great memories !  



3 comments:

  1. Great job! And thanks for the stroller recommendation. I just started running again last week, and I've been thinking about getting a double jogging stroller for when my husband is away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I've begun noticing, through various blogs, that there are a bunch of runners out there. I have never been a runner. The only time I ever ran was when I was training for field hockey in high school, but I don't like it very much. And I'd have to find time before the kids woke up (like 5am) to actually get outside and run because you can't run with three little kids. Walking is my best option because my oldest can trail along, but it rarely feels like a work out at all because of the constant stops.

    I really do need to find more time to exercise, but having a baby who doesn't sleep through the night makes me choose sleep over working out a lot of the time. I definitely lack the motivation when I am so tired all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, thanks ! The BOB is great. It is expensive, it was a family gift to me after my 2nd was born. But I will say that it is worth it - high quality stroller.

    Michelle...walking is GREAT exercise ! and with 3 little ones at home, you do what you can ! Do you still wear the little one in a carrier? maybe you can put the older 2 in the stroller so you can stay at a brisk pace. God willing, there will be plenty of time when the baby doesn't "need" you so intensely. Enjoy the time now, because you KNOW, it goes very quickly.

    ReplyDelete