Saturday, September 11, 2010

So far, So good.....birthday preparations

I have to admit that I am fairly exhausted, but not very stressed - which is good (and very different from last year)!  Last year, Sophia asked for a "monkey" birthday cake and of course I took on the challenge.  The end result wasn't too awful, but the process was just TERRIBLE.  I started AFTER dinner the night before the party -and had my family over that night for a separate gathering.  I had NO idea what I was getting myself into or how much work (or mess) it would be.  I think my sweet husband cleaned the kitchen for two hours that night...shaking his head the whole time.

This year, I planned ahead and decided I would make it the day before - and I stuck to my plan.  Early this morning we made our ladybug cookies:




Then I baked the cake.  (I had made and tinted the frosting the day before - a great decision because it was so much easier).  


I was SO nervous about decorating it, but I think it came out pretty good!  Most importantly, Sophia LOVES it and can't wait for her little party.



We prepared our favor bags, made some ladybug "birthday hats" and covered all of the tables in red/white gingham.  We are having a "Ladybug" picnic theme party, per her request !  We got some adorable material to use as a picnic blanket so that her and her little friends can have a real picnic on the floor !





We decorated our own paper goods (stay away from party stores at all costs)!  


She is fast asleep now after such an exciting day...so I set up a little surprise for her when she wakes up.  A new tea set ! I put out two settings so that she can serve her little brother some tea in the morning !  Some felt birthday cake and cookies to set the mood for the day, too !





More updates after the party !  

4 comments:

  1. Christine, you rock! That's amazing! And I mean everything!

    She should have a GREAT time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Many years to your sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredible! You did a great job. Happy Birthday to you little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what a cute and creative party!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm looking forward to wandering around yours! :)

    ReplyDelete