Tuesday, September 7, 2010

One down - Eleven to go !


Weeks, that is.   Eleven more weeks of training.

As some of you know...I run.  I don't run a lot.  I don't run fast.  I don't even think I run well.  But, I run, nonetheless.  It's one of the things that I do to try to stay healthy and in shape.  You may also remember that I decided to run in  my first race a few months ago.  It was fun.  Honestly, it made whatever running I was doing seem to have more of a purpose.  Does that make sense?  Running is boring, it's lonely sometimes, monotonous, and HARD.  But I find that if there is a goal sitting in front of me - I tend to do it more regularly and I try to do it better.

I have decided that, God willing, I am going to register for THIS race and try to complete my very first HALF MARATHON !  Crazy?  Probably.  I don't even know if I can do it.  I figure that the worst that can happen is that I get in better shape - even if I never make it to raceday !  I have the Nike + iPod kit that I use for running and they have programs online that you can follow.  I chose the BEGINNER training for half-marathon.  They set up the days and mileage for you and you have to follow the routine for 12 weeks.

The first week was HARD.  It started out with 4 mile runs, which is more than I have been running.  Saturday it finished out the week with a 6 mile run and I thought my legs were going to give out.  But at the end of the day, I got to say "I ran 6 miles this morning" !   THAT wasn't so bad !

So..wish me luck.  Say a prayer for me.  Hopefully, this won't be my last post (which would mean it was the only week I completed)!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you get MY prayer! (c;

    I'm only up to two blocks at a stretch (running) so far. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for you! I am so impressed by people who run. I just can't get myself up early enough to be able to exercise before the kids wake up. I hope training goes well! I can't wait to hear how you did.

    ReplyDelete