Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mother's Daybook

Outside my window

It is dark, quiet and rainy.  I like it like that....then I can pretend it is a "cool" night - which it is NOT.  But I have hopes that the Autumn season is around the corner.

I am thinking

that although I have been hesitating on this decision, that it is probably time to get my son a bed and move him out of his crib.  In one way, I am excited about this (milestone, sure...but honestly can't wait to get rid of that crib in there).  On the other hand, he is such a good sleeper (and very contained in that crib) that I worry what kind of trouble and excitement we will be dealing with when he realizes he doesn't have to STAY in bed anymore !  He is figuring out how to climb a bit and also the other night awoke with a blood-curdling scream because his leg was STUCK between the rails.  I ran in to find his poor body all twisted and trying to get his leg out.  I am SO happy that we don't let our children cry or scream alone...he could have really been hurt.  

Currently reading

Spiritual Counsels - Select passages from My Life in Christ -by Father John of Kronstadt

I am thankful

for being blessed with the most generous friends who have made it possible for us to be driving our family in a new-to-us minivan !  The extra room is amazing...and being able to actually fit a passenger with us is a luxury we have not had in a very long time !  Glory to God for all things. 

I am wearing

some new running shoes ! Nike Lunarglides+ 2 to be exact !  Thank you dad !!!  Can't wait to try my first long run in them ! 

I am listening to 

the sound of my son chanting "Ayiooooos Theoooooos" from his crib as he tries to put himself to sleep.  

A few plans for the rest of the week

We are enjoying somewhat of a routine these days...nothing rigid, but something that gives a flexible form to our day.  As I write this, we are at the end of our very busy week...looking forward to a great weekend filled with family time.  

Around the house

some MAJOR accomplishments in the decluttering area this past week or so !  Completely reorganized our bedroom closet ! Purchased some plastic bins and put all out-of-season clothing in the ATTIC, got rid of a ton of clothes and recycled some drawers to our kitchen area.  We can ALWAYS use more storage in our kitchen.  Soooo, that meant we had to re-do the kitchen cabinets and pantry too !  What fun !  While we were at it, we took out all the "baby" stuff from Demetri's nursery (except crib)...so he is left with only the crib and the toy storage.  Next, furnishing the little guys room !  


Sophia

is really enjoying the whole aspect of "learning".  Even though we have just started this whole process, she is asking to do more and more everyday.  I am not as organized with the plans as I would like to be, or with the materials...but we are taking it slowly and I am trying to be patient with myself. 
Poor little lady is still struggling so much with her sleeping at night.  God was merciful in making sure my son is a good sleeper because I don't know what I would do if I had 2 sleepers like her !  At this point, she will go to sleep in her room MOST of the time (with us sitting next to her bed)...but once she gets up a few hours later she is back in our room...it's a constant journey.  


Demetrios

is just into EVERYTHING at this point.  He is climbing on all the furniture, using everything he finds as a step-stool, experimenting with everything he can get his hands on !  He is a VERY active little boy !  He continues to chant constantly throughout the day, walks around with his icons in his hands, always looking for his cross.  He amazes me sometimes.  In the morning, I will often say "ok, come inside and let's say some prayers together".  He comes running with such excitement ! It is so cute to me !  

The domestic Church

Really enjoying the time spent reading with Sophia about the Saints, the Saint of the week, etc.  Establishing more of a regular routine with the children to include them in the morning prayers before they start their day and it is going well thus far.  

On my iPod

more of the same....I don't make many changes on that - probably going to delete this part of the daybook next time. 

From the kitchen

Tried out my belgian waffle maker tonight...breakfast for dinner.  It was fun and they came out pretty good. I am sure there are a lot of different recipes out there to try...I just tried a basic one I found and it was "ok".  

From the garden

I haven't posted much about it lately.  Our cucumber plant that was taking over our entire garden is gone.  It had started growing a LOT of cucs too...so I was actually sad to see it go.  We had an enormous amount of rain in short periods of time and our area doesn't get a lot of sun to begin with...I think they got waterlogged. They all went to mush, the leaves all looked rotted....we had to pull the whole plant.   We are starting to get a decent amount of peppers, enjoyed 1 eggplant so far and are getting some sweet potatoes too !  The herbs are doing well.  The tomatoes never got a good start (thanks to the cucs) because I don't think they ever got enough sun...we need to get rid of those too and start fresh I suppose. Probably have to move them to somewhere where they at least get a LITTLE more sun.  

A picture thought to share

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes find peace in reading about your life. I can't believe how quickly your children are growing. I miss you and think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me to keep going with my walking (it's hard to call it "running" when I walk most of it!).

    And, I wanted to let you know that you have a lovely blog!

    http://prayingwithmyfeet.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete